On Friday May 26th, Member of Parliament Michael McLeod was pleased to see over $45 million in federal investments for the Northwest Territories. This funding is going towards French and Aboriginal language services, education infrastructure, and homelessness.
- As part of the government’s commitment to substantially increase financial support for French-language services delivered by all three territories, on behalf of the Minister of Canadian Heritage, the Honourable Mélanie Joly, MP McLeod was very pleased to see $22,502,000 in federal funding will be invested in the Northwest Territories to more fully meet official-language obligations.
- MP McLeod joined the Honourable Alfred Moses, Minister of Education, Culture, and Employment to announce on behalf of the Minister of Canadian Heritage, the Honourable Mélanie Joly an historic 4 year/ $19.6 million federal commitment to support Indigenous Languages in the Northwest Territories. This agreement will assist in preserving and strengthening indigenous languages in the NWT.
- On behalf of the Honourable Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Navdeep Bains, MP McLeod announced $4,078,764 in federal funding for the New Heavy Equipment Operator’s Facility in Fort Smith. This money is part of Canada’s two-billion dollar Strategic Investment Fund. The Government of the Northwest Territories is contributing an additional $6,316,282 to this very important facility used to ready Northerners for the workforce.
- Both Canada and the GNWT are also contributing $100,000 for a 25 kilowatt solar array on the Aurora Research Institute in Inuvik.
- On behalf of the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Canada’s Minister of Families, Children and Social Development, MP McLeod announced an investment of more than $86,000 through the Homelessness Partnering Strategy in the Housing First for Families Program project which will be delivered by the YWCA of Yellowknife.
A great day for the NWT!