Note: This position has been filled
A Constituency Assistant is a confidential employee responsible for the administration of the Member of Parliament’s Constituency Office for the Northwest Territories.
Under the general supervision of the Member of Parliament, the Duties include:
- Assistance and Advocacy for Constituents
Responsible for developing and maintaining a working relationship with federal Ministry Offices, agencies and administrative bodies in order to provide constituents with information and assistance in resolving questions and problems in areas of federal jurisdiction.
Manage and respond to numerous concurrent inquiries.
- Community Outreach and Liaison
Required to monitor Territorial/local government and community activities to keep the Member informed on local issues.
May be requested to represent the MP at public and community functions.
Advise and assist the MP in enhancing his/her role and presence in the constituency.
- Information and Public Relations
Provide constituents and community bodies with information and clarification of government legislation and policies.
Facilitate the Member’s access to local media through monitoring and advising about local issues.
- Administration and Organizational Tasks
In conjunction with other constituency assistants, manage the Constituency Office(s) under the general supervision of the MP.
Grade 12 graduation or equivalency
- English essential. Ability to speak French is an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of the Northwest Territories including Indigenous groups, geography and demographics, and possess a basic knowledge of the role of the three (3) levels of government
- Knowledge of Territorial and community resources which constituents can be referred to for further assistance
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communications skills
- Able to work in a multicultural setting
- Able to work independently and with flexibility in work hours from time-to-time
- Ability to develop and maintain effective information sources and advocacy strategies and to exercise diplomacy and judgment is an integral part of this position
- Ability to administer the various aspects of a community office
- Specific operational skills with faxes, phones, copiers, printers and computers, including Microsoft Office Suite Programs
- Bookkeeping and clerical functions may be required
This is a permanent, part-time position paying $27.00 per hour. Hours are from 1:00-5:00 pm.
Applications must include a resume and two references with contact information. References must be able to confirm current knowledge, abilities and personal suitability. Only those applicants short-listed will be contacted. Please email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org